Hatchery-supported trout waters closed to fishing for a month


RALEIGH — The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will close about 1,000 miles of hatchery-supported trout waters to fishing one-half hour after sunset on Feb. 29 and reopen them at 7 a.m. on April 2.

While fishing is closed, commission personnel will stock all hatchery-supported trout waters in preparation for opening day. Staff stocks hatchery-supported trout waters, which are marked by green-and-white signs, at frequent intervals in the spring and early summer every year.

This year, commission personnel will stock about 916,000 trout — 96 percent of which average 10 inches in length, with the other 4 percent exceeding 14 inches in length.

While fishing on hatchery-supported trout waters, anglers can harvest a maximum of seven trout per day, with no minimum size limit or bait restriction. Hatchery-supported trout waters are open from 7 a.m. on the first Saturday in April until one-half hour after sunset on the last day of February the following year.

For more information on trout fishing in North Carolina, visit the Commission’s trout fishing page, www.ncwildlife.org/fishing/trout or call the Inland Fisheries Division at 919-707-0220.

Elkin Tribune
comments powered by Disqus