The North Carolina Powerade State Games released information for the 2017 Powerade Basketball tournament. The tournament will be held at Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center, June 23-25.
Each team will be guaranteed a minimum of four games. Teams will have pool play over Friday and Saturday (potentially early Sunday). Teams could earn bonus games in bracket play if they advance. Some teams will play as many as six games over three days.
North and South Carolina high school intact varsity teams are eligible. Teams will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis. Teams who register before May 12 will be able to request preferred game times for games on Friday. Tournament size will be determined by Powerade State Games office. Late entries will only be accepted if space permits. Coaches are encouraged to register their teams online (pag.ncsports.org) where the entry fee can be paid via Credit Card.
The entry fee is $375 per team with a four-game guarantee. Registering before March 31 knocks the price down to $325. Multi-team discount of $300 per team when both the boys and girls teams from a particular school register together. Online registration will be available for this discount for a total of $600. Deadline to register is June 9, or whenever the tournament reaches capacity.
There will be two different divisions in the tournament. Boys High School: This division is open to all high school boys varsity teams. Division will be open to both independent and public schools. Girls High School: This division is open to all high school girls varsity teams. Division will be open to both independent and public schools.
To participate, player’s must be enrolled or will be enrolled for the 2017-2018 academic year. All coaches will be required to enter their roster online by June 16.
• The top three teams in each division will receive gold, silver and bronze medals. Only the individuals listed on the roster will receive medals.
• 2016-2017 NCHSAA rules will be in effect.
• Teams must wear their high school jerseys. Practice jerseys are acceptable as well, as long as the team name is on the front with a unique number on the back.
• Players must be eligible 12th-, 11th-, 10th- or ninth-graders or under during the 2017-2018 school year. No graduated seniors may participate in this division.
• The head coach of each team must be a member of the school’s faculty and must be on the team bench at all times during his or her team’s games. Any exceptions must be approved by the State Games office prior to the tournament.
Game time is forfeit time.
• Roster limit is 15 players, three coaches and one scorekeeper.
• Each team must have an experienced scorekeeper. If no scorekeeper is provided to sit at the scorers’ table, the team will not play. Scorekeepers must sit at the table.
• Final roster deadline is June 16.
• No player younger than 18 is allowed to play without having the Agreement to Participate signed by a parent or legal guardian. Coaches may not sign the form for a player.
For more information about the tournament, contact David Shaw ([email protected]) at the State Games office at 919-361-1133.