DOBSON —With the end of the filing period looming, only one candidate has filed paperwork to run for election this year for the Elkin school board, with three seats at stake.
As of press time Tuesday, most seats on the ballot in 2014 had at least one candidate which had filed, with the exception of the Elkin Board of Education seats.
Incumbent James Freeman was the only candidate to file for the Elkin school board, an action he took Monday.
There are two City District seats, one held by Freeman and one by Stewart Roten, and one West District seat, held by J. Foley Norman, which are at stake this year.
Two candidates have filed intentions to run for the Surry County Board of Education seat which has been held for 35 years by Pilot Mountain resident Sue Stone.
Stone announced last week she will not be seeking re-election this year. Prior to that announcement, no one had filed for the District 2 seat she holds, which represents Eldora, Longhill, Pilot 1, Pilot 2, North Westfield and South Westfield voting precincts.
On Friday, Chad Slater of Pilot Mountain filed his paperwork for candidacy, and then Monday, Mamie McKinney Sutphin, also of Pilot Mountain, filed as a candidate.
The filing period closes Friday at noon for the school board seats, in addition to other offices at stake this year.
The election for Surry County Board of Education will be held during the Primary Election on May 6 and the person elected will take office during the July meeting of the school board.
Others to file for office for local seats include:
• Incumbent Shirley Randleman, a Republican from Wilkesboro, for N.C. Senate 30th District.
• Newcomer John Worth Wiles, a Democrat from Elkin, and incumbent Sarah Stevens, a Republican from Mount Airy, for N.C. House 90th District.
• Incumbent Becky Brendle of Dobson, a Democrat, and Teresa O’Dell of Mount Airy, a Republican, for Surry County clerk of court.
• Incumbent Graham Atkinson, a Democrat from Siloam, and newcomer Ervin Odum, a Republican from Dobson, for sheriff.
• Incumbent Larry Phillips of Mount Airy, a Republican, for Mount Airy District county commissioner, which includes Precincts Mount Airy 1-9.
• Incumbent R.F. Buck Golding of Lowgap, a Republican, for Central District county commissioner, which includes Precincts Dobson 1, 2 and 3, Franklin, Eldora, Stewart Creek 1 and 2.
• Incumbent Eddie Harris of State Road, a Republican, for South District county commissioner, which includes Precincts Bryan, Elkin 1, 2 and 3, Marsh and Rockford.
• Incumbent Earlie Coe of Dobson and newcomers Linda Fowler Davis of Dobson and Shannon L. Lane of Pinnacle for Surry County Board of Education District 3, which includes Precincts Rockford, Shoals and Siloam.
• Newcomers Terri Ellswood Mosley of Mount Airy and Ross A. Scott and Brad M. Brindle, both of Dobson, for Surry County Board of Education District 4, which includes Precincts Dobson 1, 2 and 3, Marsh and Stewart Creek 1 and 2.
Wendy Byerly Wood may be reached at 336-835-1513 or on Twitter @wendywoodeditor.