N.C. State Fair announces winners in wine competition
by Staff Report
RALEIGH — Laurel Gray Vineyards in Hamptonville won the N.C. Winegrowers Cup for its Estate Reserve Merlot, and Cypress Bend Vineyards in Wagram earned the N.C. Muscadine Cup for its To-Morrow wine in the N.C. State Fair’s 2013 Wine Competition.
In the amateur competition, Robert Moncsko of Cary won Best of Show with his Bobcin-Chambourcin 2009.
The winners were selected earlier this month by a panel of professional judges and will be on display in the Education Building during the fair, Oct. 17-27 at the State Fairgrounds.
Fifty commercial wineries submitted a total of 387 entries, and the amateur competition featured 99 entries from 42 winemakers across the state.
Winners were announced in the following commercial and amateur categories:
• White Vinifera: Jones vonDrehle Vineyards, Thurmond — Petit Manseng
• Rose/Blush Vinifera or Hybrid: Raffaldini Vineyards, Ronda — Girasole 2012
• Red Vinifera: Laurel Gray Vineyards, Hamptonville — Estate Reserve Merlot
• Red Hybrid: Shadow Springs Vineyards, Hamptonville — Chambourcin
• White Native American: Cypress Bend Vineyards, Wagram — To-Morrow
• Sparkling: Biltmore Estate Wine Co., Asheville — Chateau Reserve Blanc de Blanc
• Fortified/Dessert: Childress Vineyards, Lexington — Late Harvest Viognier 2010
• White Vinifera: Laurence Plott of Madison — Viognier
• Rose/Blush Vinifera or Hybrid: Robert Moncsko of Cary — Bobcin Sunset Blush 2008
• Red Vinifera: Alan Jones of Pittsboro — Old Well Cellars Grenache; Clyde Mendenhall of Greensboro — Zinfandel
• White Hybrid: Laurence Plott of Madison — Traminette
• Red Hybrid: Robert Moncsko of Cary — Bobcin-Chambourcin 2009
• White Native American: Maurice Oliver of Elizabeth City — Homemade Sweet
• Rose/Blush Native American: Joshua Bennett of Wilmington — Ison/Carlos Muscadine
• Red Native American: Bryan Fulford of Elon — Fulford Farm Wines Sweet Noble Blush
• Fruit; Other Wines: Judy Haymore of Dobson — Fox Honeywine
• Sparkling: Donald Street of Apex — Sparkling Wine
• Fortified/Dessert: Darrell Dail of Raleigh — Dail Peach Ice Wine 2010
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices