The Foothills Arts Council will offer a varied summer art program.
The arts council is taking registrations for the following classes:
• Art Camp — East Wilkes Middle School art teacher Janet Randazzo will teach a four-day art camp, June 9-12, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the arts council, 129 Church St., for children ages 6 and older. Class is limited to 10 children. Tuition is $50. Randazzo has many creative and fun projects in mind for this fun art camp.
• Semi-Private Art Lessons — Elkin High art teacher Adam Beshears will be teaching art lessons from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Students can sign up several ways — for one day per week, or both days; for 60 minutes at $15 or 90 minutes at $20. Students will sign up by the week. If a student signs up for both days in a given week, they can do two 90-minute sessions for $35. The weeks that the art lessons will be offered are: Week 1 - June 17 & 19; Week 2 - July 1 & 3; Week 3 - July 8 & 10; Week 4 - July 15 & 17; Week 5 - July 22 & 24; Week 6 - July 29 & 31.
• Guitar Lessons — Musician Cory Myers will teach guitar for children and adults ages 7 and older on Thursdays beginning at 6 p.m. Three slots available per week. Cost is $15 for 30 minute lesson.
• Pottery — Adults and children ages 8 and older can learn hand-building ceramics with a variety of projects with John Poindexter on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Five weeks for $40 beginning June 11. Limit 8.
• Kidshop Theatre — A few spots are still available in Foothills Theatre’s three-week musical theater daycamp from June 9-27, 9 a.m. to noon, at Elkin High School’s Dixon Auditorium. The camp will culminate in two performances of “Tale of Beauty and the Beast.” Tuition is $75.
• Garden Readers’ Theatre this Saturday — The Art in the Garden series continues to bring drama to the Foothills Arts Council’s beautiful garden with two readers’ theater performances of “Motherhood Out Loud,” all about being a mom and having a mom. The first performance will be Saturday at 8 p.m. starring Mary Keller, Jennifer Kleinheksel, Judy Deck, Suzanne Hillin, Stacey Libbert, Christie Harrison, Ben Erlandson and Leighanne Martin Wright. In addition to the essays in the script, several have been written by the actors from their own personal experiences.
The performance is free, but donations are accepted. Bring a chair, blanket and cooler. The garden will open at 7:30 p.m. The play does include adult language, is guaranteed to make those attending laugh, and cry.
The second performance will be May 11, Mother’s Day, at 3 p.m. starring Kitsey Burns, Lori Rice, Mary Keller, Jennifer Kleinheksel, Ben Erlandson and Leighanne Martin Wright.
For more details and registration forms for upcoming events, check www.foothillsartscouncil.org.