• 6 p.m., Zephyr Missionary Baptist Church will have its Christmas Play “The Shoe Maker’s Daughter.”
• 11 a.m., Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will feature the Chancel Choir’s cantata presentation of “Morning Star” by Joseph Martin. Lynn Booth Egerton also will be sharing music. Also, there will be no 8:45 a.m. service.
• 11 a.m., Swaims Baptist Church, 3919 Swaims Church Road, Hamptonville, will present its Christmas play.
• 6 p.m., Maplewood Baptist Church’s Sanctuary Choir will present its Christmas cantata, “Majesty of Heaven.” For more information, call the church office at 336-679-3555, email [email protected]@org, or check out www.maplewoodbc.org.
• 6:30 p.m., Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, 593 Pleasant Hill Drive, Elkin, will present its children’s musical.
• 7 p.m., Middle Cross Baptist Church, 2305 Rock Creek Road, North Wilkesboro, will hold its Christmas program, “Peace on Earth: A Soldier’s Christmas,” a play written to honor the veterans. Those attending can bring small veterans photos to displayon the Christmas tree, or larger ones to be displayed in the window sills. All veterans attending will be recognized.
• 7 p.m., Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will host a Service of Darkness in Light. The service is a powerful experience for those who are grieving, sad, depressed or just want a break from all the hustle and bustle of the season. Moving from solemn to hopeful, music, lighting and scriptures give full expression to both sorry and the longing for hope.
• 5:30 p.m., Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will hold a children’s Christmas Eve service in the chapel featuring the telling of the Christmas story and candle lighting at the conclusion to celebrate Jesus’ birth.
• 6 p.m., Jonesville First United Methodist Church will hold a Christmas Eve service of candlelight and communion. For more information, call Pastor Judy Davis at 336-469-2768.
• 6 p.m., Union Hill Baptist Church will have its Christmas play, “There is Something About that Name.”
• 6 and 8 p.m., two informal services will be held Christmas Eve at Maplewood Baptist Church with carols, the reading of the Christmas story, an opportunity to partake in the Lord’s Supper.
• 7 p.m., Shoaly Branch Baptist Church, Elkin, will have a Christmas eve program with Christmas music and communion. For more information or directions to the church, off Murray Road on Shoaly Branch Road, call 336-401-5082.
• 8 p.m., Abstract Church, 1785 N. Bridge St., Elkin, will host a Christmas Eve service. For more information, visit abstractchurch.org.
• 11 p.m., Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will hold a Christmas Eve communion and candlelight service. The service will include carols and the telling of the Christmas story.
• 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (or until it’s gone), Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will offer a free Christmas lunch for those who may be alone on Christmas Day or not able to have a traditional feast. No reservations are needed.
• 8:45 a.m. and 11 a.m., Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will host First Sunday Lessons and Carols continuing the celebration of Christmas.
• 9 p.m. until, Union Hill Baptist Church will hold a New Year’s Eve service.
• 8:45 a.m. and 11 a.m., Elkin First United Methodist Church, 340 Hawthorne Road, Elkin, will celebrate Epiphany and the coming of the magi during worship.
• 5 p.m., Christ Lutheran Church has a free community meal on the fourth Monday of each month at 451 Winston Road, Jonesville.
• 7 p.m., Abstract Church, 1785 N. Bridge St., Elkin, hosts Celebrate Recovering, a ministry designed to help hurting people, each Saturday. Trained leaders provide safe, confidential, Christ-centered groups where people can seek recovery and gain healing from life’s hurts, habits and hang-ups. The group is free. For more information, visit abstractchurch.org.
Submission guidelines for calendar events: One-time events may be submitted for placement in the calendar at least two weeks prior to the date of the event. Information- should include date, time, place, brief description and contact information, if necessary. Calendars are published as space permits and do not run in every issue of the paper. If your submission is not showing, it is due to the chronological order of the events. Events to be included are at our discretion, and information is subject to editing. Send events to [email protected]