Plea agreement reached in alleged Surry County home invasion case


Plea nets 10- to 20-month jail term

By Terri Flagg - [email protected]



DOBSON — The trial of a Winston-Salem man accused of a home invasion in Surry County ended Monday with a plea agreement.

Habib Cooper Jah, 35, of Carver School Road, faced charges of first-degree burglary, kidnapping, second-degree kidnapping and larceny of a firearm for an incident allegedly occurring in May 2014.

Jah also faced charges of first-degree burglary and larceny after breaking and entering for a January 2014 incident involving the same victims.

After several pretrial motions were heard Monday morning, the parties returned from the lunch break having reached an agreement.

Jah pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of felony breaking and entering as well as guilty to larceny of a firearm.

All other charges were dismissed.

He was given two consecutive active sentences of 10 to 20 months with 559 days credit for time served.

Presiding Superior Court Judge Richard Gottlieb ordered the defendant to pay $6,217.50 in costs and $2,790.90 in restitution.

Indictments issued in October 2014 accuse Jah of breaking into the home of Howard Bernard and Lou Jean Jackson on Prince Avenue in the State Road community shortly after midnight on May 4, 2014, while the Jacksons were at home.

“(The victims) told officers that as they slept, two suspects kicked in their door and entered the residence,” Detective J.D. Briles of the Surry County Sheriff’s Office told The Mount Airy News in May 2014.

“They bound the male victim and physically restrained the female victim.”

During the incident Bernard Jackson was seriously injured and a .38-caliber revolver belonging to him was stolen, according to the indictments.

Lou Jean Jackson was 76 when she died on July 16, 2014, according to an obituary published in The News. No cause of death was reported.

According to indictments for charges stemming from the January incident, also returned in October 2014, Jah allegedly broke into the Jackson’s home during the nighttime hours and stole Bernard Jackson’s wallet containing $2,000.

Originally set to begin in September, the trial had been rescheduled for Monday in a special session of Superior Court.

Plea nets 10- to 20-month jail term

By Terri Flagg

[email protected]

Reach Terri Flagg at 415-4734.

Elkin Tribune

Reach Terri Flagg at 415-4734.

comments powered by Disqus