After a month of waiting to hold the event, eager ducks and turtles finally got a chance to race down stream on Big Elkin Creek as part of the annual Duck and Turtle Regatta Saturday. Typically held on the day of the Yadkin Valley Pumpkin Festival, continuous rainfall which caused water speed and depth to increase.
For the safety of the volunteers with the Elkin Valley Trails Association and the Boy Scouts having to round up and catch the ducks and turtles at the end of the race, the decision was made to hold off until conditions were more conducive to have the regatta, so it was held Saturday.
Hundreds of ducks and turtles — some argue one animal floats faster than another — took the leap into the creek at the Elk Spur Street bridge over Big Elkin Creek and raced toward the Elkin Public Library, plunging over the dam and then battling for positioning before being round up by volunteers near the West Main Street bridge.
Onlookers lined the banks of the creek to get a glimpse of the race, hoping their adopted duck or turtle would be winner.
This year’s winner of the big prize, a 10.5-foot Dagger kayak, paddle and personal flotation device provided by Yadkin River Adventures, was Andrew Peterson, whose wife Gina and father Robert picked up the prize in The Liberty parking lot Monday.
Proceeds from the regatta benefit the EVTA and the Yadkin Valley Rotary Club.
Other prize winners this year are:
• Donna Williams, bicycle from Walmart
• Hannah Gilmore, Cracker Barrel dinner
• Debbie Carson, Elkin Parks and Recreation gift card
• Zoey Hawks, bicycle from Walmart
• Casey Darnell, Generations Restaurant
• Shiela Biehl, Yadkin General Store gift card
• Elija Jerislow, Mazzini’s Restaurant dinners
• Roy Thomasson, Dodge City Restaurant
• Jay Mason, Elkin Creek Vineyard experience
• Wesley Nations and Lois D., bicycle from Walmart
• Prism Medical, Combs Produce gift card
• Dick Everhart, grill and cooking tools from Chris Mahon AMC
• Ann Ashman, Ivy Ridge Creations gift card
• Abigale Toussaint, Tweetsie Railroad tickets
• Harold Decells, Adagio Vineyards wine
• Tim Gentry, Carolina Heritage Vineyard gift card
• Amy Aldridge, 222 Public House gift card
• Randy Tulbert, Harry’s Place gift card
• Brian Shaw, Slightly Askew Winery
• Brenda Brown, Precision Custom oil change
• Joe Welborn, camping headlamps and knife from Lowe’s Stores
• Shaif Anthony, NC Zoo tickets
• Carrie Nations, lap quilt trails related from Christine Mason
• Donna Thompson, dinner gift card from Hot Shotz Bar & Grill
• Mark and Rebecca Maynard, children’s book “Manger Mouse” by Sarah Byrd
• Joe Ardizzola, Larson’s Pottery
• Ben Erlandson, Skull Camp Brewery tasting
• Brian Grynlewski, Shelton Vineyards wine tasting for two
• Stephen Walker, Shelton Vineyards wine tasting for two
• Steve Wells, Shelton Vineyards wine tasting for two
• Amber Berryman, child’s toy John Deere excavator from Kennedy Auto
• Wells and Susan Stuart, Shelton Vineyards wine tasting for two
• Sarah Byrd, Shelton Vineyards wine tasting for two
• Teresa Wood, Walmart Elkin gift card
Wendy Byerly Wood may be reached at 336-258-4035 or on Twitter @wendywoodeditor.