UPDATED: Officials: Elkin students’ safety ensured, security threat investigated


Staff Report



The Elkin City Schools administration responded to an alleged security threat Friday morning, but students remained on a regular schedule and lockdown was never put in place.

Cynthia Altemueller, chief academic officer for the school system, confirmed, “There was concern about a possible threat in the school district. The appropriate staff followed up on the threat and all safety precautions were taken.”

At no point were the schools put on lockdown at any of the three schools, she said, and the students were not sent home.

In an update from Elkin Police Department Lt. Mendy Peles Friday afternoon, she reported that it had been reported to Elkin High School faculty “that a student had made threats to the Elkin High School through social media. Although the reports were unsubstantiated, extra police presence was maintained throughout the late morning and afternoon at the high school.”

In a statement sent out via the school systems bulk phone messaging system at 11:15 a.m. Friday, Dr. Myra Cox, superintendent, assured parents that the students’ safety was ensured and the schools would operate on a regular schedule.

“The staff is visible, safety precautions are being taken, and there is no reason to think we can’t continue on a full day of school,” Altemueller said.

“Outside of the safety of students, confidentiality would be the next important thing right now,” said Altemueller when questioned about the type of threat.

Wendy Byerly Wood may be reached at 336-258-4035 or on Twitter @wendywoodeditor.

http://elkintribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/web1_Breaking-news-static-world-images-1.jpg

Staff Report

comments powered by Disqus