Mountain Grove celebrates 100 years of faith


Mountain Grove United Methodist Church of Hamptonville celebrated its Centennial Aug. 30. The church was built in 1915.


Submitted photo

HAMPTONVILLE — Mountain Grove United Methodist Church of Hamptonville celebrated its Centennial Aug. 30. The church was built in 1915.

Several people were present at the celebration, including members and long-time members who had moved away but returned to celebrate. Lunch was served in the picnic shelter with tables set up on the grounds of the church. Those attending enjoyed plenty of food and exchanging of stories of the past.

Mountain Grove, 5200 Rena Road, was founded in 1915, and there have been many changes in the appearance of the church since then. The charter members left the congregation with a legacy of memories, and all the members since have added to those.

The land for the church was purchased from Mamie Pardue of Cycle for $25 by the church trustees on Sept. 3, 1915. The original building was used without much change until 1951 when some of the classrooms were added. Since that time the church has grown much in structure. In 1969, more classrooms and additions were added. The bathrooms were remodeled in 2000. A picnic shelter built in the early ’70s has been finished with windows, new tables and vinyl siding added to the outside.

Church members said they wish the members who built the church could see it today and know what they started is still going 100 years later.

Mountain Grove United Methodist Church of Hamptonville celebrated its Centennial Aug. 30. The church was built in 1915.
http://elkintribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/web1_church-centennial.jpgMountain Grove United Methodist Church of Hamptonville celebrated its Centennial Aug. 30. The church was built in 1915. Submitted photo
Elkin Tribune
comments powered by Disqus