Taylor Pardue Staff Reporter
November 5, 2013
Yadkin elections are closed, and the results are surprising in many of the major election topics.
Jonesville voted overwhelmingly in favor of alcohol Tuesday, with malt beverages, mixed beverages and an ABC store all voted in by residents.
There were 332 voters in favor of malt beverages, or 60.58 percent of the vote. Another 216 voted against the malt beverages for the remaining 39.42 percent of the 548 votes.
Nearly identical numbers were posted for mixed beverages, with 330 people in favor — 60.66 percent. There were 214 voters against, or 39.34 percent of the 544 total voters.
Voters were also in favor of an ABC store, but less enthusiastically. There were 323 votes in favor of the store, or 59.16 percent. Another 223 voted against the store for the remaining 40.84 percent of the 546 total voters.
Sales tax referendum
All of Yadkin’s 12 precincts are reported, and the county sales tax referendum is dead.
So far 1,285 voters chose to not raise the county sales tax by a quarter of a percent to seven percent.
Another 994 voters voted in favor of raising the tax.
The numbers also account for one stop and absentee ballots.
Eleven of the 12 precincts voted the measure down: some by margins as slim as two votes, others by as many as 101 votes.
Only one precinct went for the sales tax: South Fall Creek. There were 65 votes for and 52 against.
Chairman of the Board of Yadkin County Commissioners Kevin Austin said he supported the people’s right to choose.
“Glad that the people were able to voice their position on this issue. I’m always interested in the public position and I’m a big supporter of it,” Austin said.
When asked if the sales tax issue was done, Austin said the vote could come back up in future elections.
“Our board or any future board can put it back on the ballot at any time, but I would think this matter has been resolved and is closed,” Austin said.
In total, there were 3,019 voters who participated, with 58 percent, or 1,751 voters, of voters against the tax increase and 42 percent, 1,268 voters, in favor of it.
Gene Pardue won the mayor position in Jonesville with 73.84 percent of the vote.
“All I can say is I really appreciate the people that voted for me, and I’ll do the best job that I possibly can for the citizens of this town,” Pardue said.
Pardue said the main goal of his term would be to bring industry to the town. A building contractor, Pardue said the town has changed a lot since he helped build some of its businesses decades ago.
“We need to market this town. When I built the Holiday Inn over there 25, 27 years ago now, I could look out when we were working there and you may not see a car on there during the day on [Interstate] 77, and look at it now. [Interstate] 77 is a goldmine if we can get them off of that interstate.”
Jerry Lee Wood garnered 17.25 percent of the vote, and another 8.91 percent went to write-ins.
“There ain’t much to say if you didn’t win; there’s not a whole lot you can say. I tried anyhow. I thought I’d try it one time and see if I’d get elected but I planning on trying it anymore,” Wood said.
In total, 516 voters voted in the mayoral election: 381 for Pardue, 89 for Wood, and 46 for write-ins.
Andy Green won re-election with 33.64 percent of the commissioner vote, or 291 votes.
“I’m just very honored and humbled by the turnout and being re-elected,” Green said.
Green said he hopes to bring a bright future to the town in his new term as commissioner.
“Hopefully we can clean up part of the town that needs cleaning. We’ve got some areas that are not very appealing and we’ve got some sidewalks that need fixing, and hopefully we can get some grants to work on that. Hopefully we can bring some industry or create some jobs in Jonesville and continue to work on the greenway,” Green said.
Anita Darnell won the second seat with 27.4 percent and 237 votes.
“I feel pretty good. I’m ready to get busy. I didn’t expect to win. This is my first time running and you have to wait it out and see how it goes,” Darnell said.
Darnell is the president of the Jonesville Tourism Development Authority. She said the alcohol vote will be something to consider in her time as a commissioner.
“We’ll just have to see what happens next. We’ll have to see what our next job with that is. I have to wait until I actually get into office,” Darnell said.
Tommy Casstevens won 190 votes and 21.97 percent of the vote.
Judy Wolfe was included in the write-in candidate section of the vote, which garnered 147 votes and 16.99 percent of the vote.
“I feel good about things. I knew that being a write-in would pose challenges, and that a few obstacles were involved, but it was well worth it,” Wolfe said.
Wolfe said she would not run again in a future election.
“There is no next time. I have two books to finish. I have a historical society to build up. I have a lot of grant there…my life is full,” Wolfe said.
In total, 865 voters cast ballots in the commissioner race.
Town Manager Scott Buffkin congratulated the winners and welcomed Darnell to the town council.
“Congratulations to Mr. Pardue on his election as mayor, to Mr. Green and Ms. Darnell for their elections to Town Council. The town staff and I look forward to working with you all for the continued best interests of the citizens of the town,” Buffkin said.
East Bend board
Mayor Larry Adams won re-election with 95.89 percent of the vote. Write-in candidates took the remaining 4.11 percent.
Wanda Spillman Johnson was the highest vote-getter in the town’s commissioner race with 32.14 percent of the vote. Stewart Maples came in second with 28.57 percent of the vote, and David Frederick finished with 26.19 percent.
The three will be East Bend commissioners.
Write-in candidates took 13.10 percent of the vote.
Rusty Hunter is still Boonville’s mayor with a vote of 93.85 percent. Another 6.15 percent went to write-in candidates.
In total, 195 people voted for mayor, with 183 for Hunter and 12 against.
Gerald Brown and Bonnie Bovender Lasky are the winning commissioners in the race, with 32.28 and 31.48 percent of the vote respectively.
Luke Storie finished with 28.31 percent of the vote and David Anderson with 7.14 percent.
Write-ins garnered .79 percent of the vote.
In total, 378 people voted for commissioner in the town’s election.
Tony Reece was elected to finish an unexpired term by 95.63 percent of the vote, or 175 votes. Eight votes went to write-ins, or 4.37 percent.
In total, 183 people voted in the unexpired term election, which will end in 2015.
Hubert Gregory retained his mayorship with 90.97 percent of the Yadkinville vote. Write-ins won 9.03 percent of the vote.
In total, 131 voters cast their ballots for Gregory and 13 voted against, for a total of 144 voters.
Thomas “Eddie” Norman and Kelly Oliver were elected as the town commissioners, with 44.49 and 51.57 percent of the vote respectively.
Norman received 113 votes in favor, and Oliver received 131.
Write-ins garnered 3.94 percent of the vote, or ten votes.
In total, 254 voters voted in the commissioner election.
Anthony Gonzalez and Wendy Byerly Wood contributed to the story.
Reach Taylor Pardue at 835-1513 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.