Matthew GorrySports Writer
March 26, 2013
MOUNT AIRY - East Wilkes scored a huge victory over tennis powerhouse Mount Airy Monday afternoon.
The Cardinals pulled out the hard-fought 5-4 over the perennial state champion on the road, led by dominating singles play.
East won four of the six singles matches as Dillon Shew, Alvin Sales, Levi Barker and Jeffrey Hayes recorded wins. Luke Patterson dropped a 7-5, 6-2 decision at the No. 6 match, while Greylin Cleary fell at No. 1.
Needing a doubles sweep for the win, the Bears made a late charge. After winning two of the three matches, Mount Airy was in position to complete the sweep.
But Shew and Barker held on for the 9-7 victory over Justin Leonard and Sam Brown at No. 2 doubles to give East Wilkes the big 5-4 triumph.
East Wilkes 5, Mount Airy 4
1. Mitch Kessler (MA) d. Greylin Cleary (EW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dillon Shew (EW) d. Justin Leonard (MA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Alvin Sales (EW) d. Sam Brown (MA) 6-2, 6-4
4. Levi Barker (EW) d. Blake Hensley (MA) 6-3, 7-5
5. Jeffrey Haynes (EW) d. Jack Marion (MA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Robert Blizzard (MA) d. Luke Patterson (MA) 7-5, 6-2
1. Kessler/Hensley (MA) d. Cleary/Sales (EW) 8-2
2. Shew/Barker (EW) d. Leonard/Brown (MA) 9-7
3. Marion/Gentry Williamson (MA) d. Haynes/Patterson (EW) 8-6
Reach Matthew Gorry at 835-1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.