Submitted by Rick Strunk
February 19, 2012
CHAPEL HILL - The North Carolina High School Athletic Association, along with representatives of the Basketball Coaches Association, devised the following procedures for seeding in the upcoming state playoffs.
The seeding of the basketball brackets will be done for a one-year trial basis for the 2011-12 season, with the NCHSAA reporting to the Board of Directors regarding the results and the viability of continuing the seeding process in future years.
1. The 2012 Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championship brackets will consist of 64 teams competing in each classification (1A/2A/3A/4A).
2. The 64 qualifiers will consist automatic qualifiers from each conference (half of the number of teams in each conference + 1).
3. If there are not enough automatic qualifiers to fill the 64 teams, the remaining spots will be filled by wildcards (1A - 6 wildcards, 2A - None, 3A - None, 4A - 2 wildcards).
4. All 64 qualifiers will then be divided into 4 sections of 16 teams (East, Mideast, Midwest, West) by longitude.
5. Once the four sections are determined, each of the 16 teams will be seeded based upon the following:
a. Seed all #1’s by overall records - ties will be broken by head-to-head record or draw.
b. If a school finishes first in its part of a classification in a split conference, it is seeded as a #1 and not actually where it finished overall in the conference.
c. Seed all #2’s by overall records - ties will be broken by head-to-head record or draw.
d. Seed all #3’s by overall records - ties will be broken by head-to-head record or draw.
e. Seed all #4’s by overall records - ties will be broken by head-to-head record or draw.
f. Seed all #5’s by overall records - ties will be broken by head-to-head record or draw.
g. Seed all Wildcards by overall records - ties will be broken by head-to-head record or draw.
6. Once all 16 teams in each section are sorted by conference finish and overall record, they will be given their requisite seed #1 - #16.
7. Once seeding is complete, #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15, #3 plays #14, etc., with the higher seed always hosting.
8. At the regionals, teams will not be re-seeded as in the past. The sectional finals and regional finals will be conducted the week of Feb. 28-March 3 in Greensboro and Fayetteville.
The state playoffs tip off tonight around the state.